[meteorite-list] Lyon & Turnbull meteorite auction results!!!

Shawn Alan photophlow at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 11:34:31 EDT 2011

Hello Listers,

Hope everyone is doing well. I was able to watch the The Robert Elliott Meteorite Collection: Part II auction I have to say sales were high with some items. I guess in the UK market people can spend some coins.

The Michael Jackson interest NWA xxx 559g meteorite sold for £1,100 with the expected value at about Estimate £250-350. Can we say we have some Michael Jackson fans in the house. I was thinking that might be a high of the auction ans so it seems it was. Now I wonder is the Jackson estate has the other half still and what that might be worth on the meteorite market.

Now me move onto Nakhla. I think this was also a house favorite with the closing cost at  £1,100 for a .228g fragment. After conversion and sellers fee, the expected winner will be paying about 2200 in American dollars. The price you pay for history and aura.

Now there were some flops...... Can anyone say cheese...... Well that is what I was told the Moon was made out of when I was a little kid, bit soon after, I was told that astronauts made the moon from rocks. The stories that kids are told, I hope kids these days are smarter and when the parents aren't looking google it. If I had google when I was 4 years old, I would have been smart little kid on my speak n spell. Now back to the flops. Those were Dar al Gani 400. The suggested price for a Moon rock 0.184g was at Estimate: £1600 - 2200. Am I missing something or is that old prices when this stuff was selling like hot cakes?

Now we move to closer of the auction..... Calcalong Creek. This meteorite can command a pretty penny and was said to sell for around $40,000 a gram. Last time I say some of this sell I think it was a 2mg piece for around $700. As for the Lyon and Turnbull's Calcalong Creek fragment this could be a winner for the winning bidder at a mystery weight. The only thing one could go by was the size, 3mm. The weight could be 3mg to 10mg or more. But I have to say for £300, at the end of the day, a deal was made considering the province and hand written letter and not to mention the fragment could be 10mg or more, and if that's the case, the winner got a steal.

All and all, the sales were average to above average and for the market being in a rut, the auction went off with some great buys. Now I just want to know when is the next one is cause this one was nice to watch and see alot of great  meteorites slip by.

For the results of all 101 LOTS click on the link down below

http://www.lyonandturnbull.com/asp/searchresults.asp?pg=1&st=D

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore