[meteorite-list] Beware - Creatures of The Desert

Adam Hupe raremeteorites at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 17:30:43 EDT 2011

Jim mentioned large bugs out here.

I had one of these land on my head where I squashed it.  What a mess.  Another
time, one landed on my sandal thinking it was a tarantula.  After hearing how
painful a sting is from one of these bad boys, I made record time getting it off
of my foot.

Link to a Tarantula Hawk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5fDTABsn5Y

the sting:
The sting, particularly of Pesis Formosea, is among the most painful of any
insect, but the intense pain only lasts for about 3 minutes. Commenting on his
own experience, one researcher described the pain as  "…immediate, excruciating
pain that simply shuts down one's ability to  do anything, except, perhaps,
scream. Mental discipline simply does not  work in these situations."  Some
victims pass out from the pain or curl up in the fetal position crying out
momma.

Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk