[meteorite-list] Question for dealers re: displaying sold items

MEM mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 01:02:34 EDT 2011

Michael Mulgrew wrote:
<<Speaking  purely as a consumer I would recommend that dealers make the time or
find the  resources to more clearly differentiate between SOLD and FOR SALE
items  rather than having them all lumped together>>.

 Speaking as a collector and meteorophille,  I've no objection to leaving up
"sold" meteorite photos for as long as the website owner wishes.  As a long time
affiliate who understands the importance of viewing as many meteorite photos as
possible, I  have no difficulty distinguishing between available specimens and
sold specimens.  I also am able to get a better characterization of the stone as
a whole rather than what sliver is left in inventory.  It gives perspective to
the cutable yield of a given meteorite and lets me know where my specimen of
choice stands in relation to the characterization of the entire stock.
Especially when there is a low TKW or especially rare mineralogy.

Heaven knows, there are probably those who collect meteorites that think they
are found  beside the road already cut into nice little thin section butts or so
it seems at times.  That is their prerogative but,  I'd much rather see
collectors who aren't so shallow and took a little effort to actually appreciate
meteorites for their scientific value aka meta-knowledge they can give, and not
just another Beanie Baby they must have on their crowed shelf.

 I also like to see pilgrims come here and ask learn why rather than assume
everyone before them was uninformed, isolated from the main stream and just did
things in an arbitrary way.  There is a lot I'd like to see if I were king but,
since I am not,  I'll defer to the generally good judgment of my colleagues and
let them operate their business as they wish( so long as they are honest and
legal) and be grateful for their taking the effort to post so many photos for me
to study.

Dealers--please keep your photo collection intact until long after your
inventory is exhausted. In fact show me more!

Elton