[meteorite-list] Twice Blessed Yankee Lobsterman

David Gunning davidgunning at fairpoint.net
Wed Sep 29 12:05:15 EDT 2010

Hi Rob & Elton,

Believe it or not, guys, I was well aware that the two Round Pond
meteorites had not been mentioned with official citations.  You think I
would want to waste peoples time without first getting the factual lay of
an issue?  That's not my style.

I first learned about the Round Pond meteorites on a web site hosted by
the Maine Geological Survey.  Unless I'm mistaken that information is
offered by the Maine Geological Survey without qualifiers.  Because of
the source, I took the information at face value, "statistically
improbable" or not.

There is another Maine meteorite report that references a "321 lb.
metallic stone" having been found on the shore of Great Chebeague Island
in Casco Bay, in 1973.  As I lived on a neighboring island in Casco Bay
for five years and never heard of it PLUS the lack of mention by the
Maine Geological Survey in any of their public literature, I did not make
mention of that particular meteorite in my original query to the list.

I mean, how on earth could an islander hide a "321 lb. metallic stone
meteorite".   .   .without half the other islanders knowing about it?
Talk about your "statistical improbabilities".  .  .  !

Now, if it turns-out that the story of the lobsterman meteorite finder
was either factually incorrect or a creative fabrication on the part of
the State of Maine and the Maine Geological Survey I would suggest to all
interested parties, from the Governor on down, that the citizens of
Maine, myself included, deserve better than to be fibbed to in such a
bald faced manner.

I'd like to know the Maine peat bog location you've referenced, Elton, if
it's not too much trouble.

Best wishes,

Dave Gunning