[meteorite-list] Meteor Crater Shape and Entry Angle

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Fri Sep 10 13:40:31 EDT 2010

>>What can probably be agreed is  that an impactor with an
entry angle of 45* degrees could produce a round  crater. Meaning of
course that Meteor Crater, since it's not perfectly round  as evidenced
by the "bulges" in the NW and SE corners, must have been  produced by an
impactor with a trajectory much shallower than 45 degrees.  Logically.<<

I don't know, but I wonder if the shape of the terrain  upon
impact(hills/gulleys etc) or perhaps a varied pattern of rock strength  underground could
have had some influence to the craters shape?
GeoZay