[meteorite-list] I have a problem with some rusting meteorites

Shawn Alan photophlow at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 19:07:41 EDT 2010

Hello Jim and Listers,

That sounds like a great way to preserve rusters. I am wondering, do you have before and after images of the Admire pallasite?

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystorehttp://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html

Hi Tim and list,

Here is what I do to stop rust on my Irons and pallasites.

First remove any surface rust by sanding, buffing or with BKF (barkeepers

friend).

Second, soak the meteorite in "Kano Kroil" penetrating oil for at least 8
hours. I use this product in my manufacturing business and it has
prevented
rusting of metal parts that I keep in cold storage for years. Here's a
link to there site: _http://www.kanolabs.com/_
(_http://www.kanolabs.com/_ (http://www.kanolabs.com/) )

Third, dry the piece with a cloth. The oil tends to bleed out of
pallasites for days because of all there crevices.

Fourth, I apply a coat of automotive paste wax. I prefer a brand called
"Mothers" but I believe any quality brand would work just as well.

Lastly, I only openly display my etched irons and pallasites during the
dry winter months. I live in northern Illinois and the summer humidity
can
get high. In summer I store these in plastic bags with desiccant and also
use a
few mini dehumidifiers.
_http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Model-365-Mini-Dehumidifier/dp/B0028M3YU6/r
ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1268267140&sr=8-
3_
(_http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Model-365-Mini-Dehumidifier/dp/B0028M3YU6/
ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1268267140&sr=8-3_
(http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Model-365-Mini-Dehumidifier/dp/B0028M3YU6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=
home-garden&qid=1268267140&sr=8-3) )

I treated my 248 gram Admire over a year ago and it has been rust free
ever since.

Cheers,
Jim K