[meteorite-list] I have a problem with some rusting meteorites

al mitt almitt at kconline.com
Tue Oct 26 09:01:15 EDT 2010

Hi Mike and all,

Don't know where you read to have bright lights but having those can cause
specimens to bleach out over time. Especially if you use fluorescent
lighting.

Part of collecting is keeping a watch over specimens and treating them
before they become a big problem. Easier to deal with a little superficial
oxidation. As one commenter said, keeping oxygen from specimens is important
as well as keeping humidity from your specimens. Buying specimens that are
not so rust prone if you live in a humid environment is also a good idea.

Admire has always been an extremely bad ruster as well as about half of the
pallasites. Imilac, Esquel, Seymachan, and Albin have always been very
stable.

--AL Mitterling
Mitterling Meteorites and Lab