[meteorite-list] The (Long) Weekend Warrior: ... Crater Size and Age

MEM mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 01:08:59 EDT 2010

With regard to the range of asteroid sized bodies, average body size is trending
smaller owing to collisions.  The solar system has been greatly depleted of
larger bodies as compared to the original populations of planetary/asteroidal
bodies. Collisions, by-in-large, produce multiple "smaller" objects which, over
time, produce even smaller objects and so on.  So large impacts "statistically"
point back to a very early solar system with a greater  proportion of  larger
objects.  The impact itself is evidence of depletion.

In general, the more impacts  visible on the surface, the relatively longer
exposure that surface has had to impacts.  An older surface that hasn't been
renewed by tectonic/volcanic recycling will have more craters and a higher
proportion of  larger astroblemes.  We date planetary surface geological
activity/age using crater count and overlap statistics with crater sizes
factored in..

Elton