[meteorite-list] (AD) Large selection of Omani Meteorites

Rob Holcomb rob.holcomb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 22:45:37 EDT 2010

Listing is for a collection of Chondrite Meteorites found in the Dhofar / Al
Wusta region of Oman during 2008.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250713148220

     ITEM DETAILS:
This listing is for OVER 200 (4000+ grams) assorted meteorites, all bagged
and tagged! http://4-kats.homeip.net/rfs/pile-anon.jpg  Also there is a link
to a complete list of the meteorites at the end of the description! And
pictures of the in-situ rocks can be seen in this document,
http://4-kats.homeip.net/RfS/Meteorite_Contactsheet.pdf,  with a nice fusion
crust. These are ordinary Chondrites found embedded in the desert pavement
so there may be some siliceous or carbonaceous caliche material on the rock.
This can often be removed using a soft brush or even compressed air.

The smallest meteorites are ~3.1 grams and the largest is 367 grams. This
collection isn't full of little chips and small fragments, but instead has
great rocks that show fantastic fusion crust and some are complete
fragments.
These meteorites are from the Mystical Arabian Peninsula country of Oman
(Rub al Khali) and are available directly from me or through eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250713148220. Please
email and we can discuss terms and such.

Other Info:
Most meteorites found on trips to Oman are ordinary chondrites and are small
and not suitable for scientific study, but make excellent gifts for space
fans, geological travelers and rock-hounds all around the world. And so I am
letting this one go for a very good price.

Many meteorites that have fallen in desert areas, like The Arabian Desert in
Oman (Close to the Empty Quarter), don't weather quickly, but instead remain
at or near the surface. The wind moves sand and debris to cover the
meteorites one year and then exposes them the next so even when others have
searched an area their tires can disturb the desert pavement enough that new
meteorites are exposed during the next winds storm.

Link to the table of meteorites: Click Here
http://4-kats.homeip.net/rfs/list.htm