[meteorite-list] Brix's meteorite hunting training video Part 2

Adam Hupe raremeteorites at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 18:31:31 EST 2010

Dogs are amazing. I had a Rottweiler that took to rocks naturally.  A long time
ago, I received a package of Saharan meteorites from the Labennes, laid one out
on a table and my dog made off with it and buried in the back yard.  I gave him
another one, he took it and tried to bury it as well.  This is how we found
where he buried the first one.

I could pick up any rock, observe its unique characteristics and throw it into
the river. My dog would then go after it and not return until he had found the
exact same rock I had thrown among thousands of others.  I do not know how he
was able to do this since it seems unlikely that a dog could smell anything
submerged in water. It was like magic watching him retrieve these rocks.  I have
no explanation for this.

A trained dog seems like a natural tool to use in meteorite hunting. I am
curious to how this works out. Who knows?  Maybe Brix will be the first dog in
history to make a cold find.

Happy Hunting,

Adam