[meteorite-list] Temperature of meteorites (Bernd's List)

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Tue Nov 23 13:02:40 EST 2010

A dark crust certainly will absorb energy from the Sun during the fall. But
that radiative energy gain is going to be a lot smaller than the convective
loss from a stream of -40° air blowing across the stone at 100 m/s or so!

I'd think a smooth fusion crust would actually provide better heat transfer
than a rougher surface.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory