[meteorite-list] Thin Section Slide Size

Michael Blood mlblood at cox.net
Mon Nov 15 06:19:09 EST 2010

Hi Matt, Ed & all,
        While it is true that I, Anne Black, David New and everyone
Else I know into meteorite Thin Sections have made 27 X 46 mm
Thin sections, to say they are "standard" is not really accurate in
Terms of thin sections across the board.
        Certainly this size is common, but other sizes are used in
Various other arenas - IE some geological studies, some biological
Studies, some medical studies, Oil Industry wtudies, etc. use a
Variety of other sizes.
        While 27 X 46mm  is one of the more common sizes,
It is not, in fact, "the standard size" for thin sections in general
But it is "the standard size" for meteorite thin sections. I have,
However, seen meteorite thin sections of other sizes. The most
Frustrating for me were round thin sections.
        Best wishes, Michael