[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hunting Personal Locator Beacon

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Thu Nov 11 09:55:23 EST 2010

Dirk...just to add a little more here about our  SPOT device. First, I
don't hear any kind of radio signal from this device. The  entire signal shows
up on my computer. Over the course of a year, we use this  device probably
more than the average user. As an example for this past year, my  wife did
some snow hiking/camping last winter in the Yosemite area and in areas  just
outside the park. I remember when I got that signal how concern I was when
the topog map showed that they were not far from the edge of a big drop off.
When they got back, I told her that the signal looked like they were close
to  the edge and she said that they were. During the peak summer, she did an
18 day  hike on the Pacific Crest Trail going from Yosemite valley to
Sequoia. I got a  signal every day, but one and I could see from the previous
signal that she was  heading into an area where the signal would probably have
difficulty getting  out. So I wasn't really worried since I had a good idea
where she was and the  circumstances for not getting a signal. Before and
after this adventure, she  went on perhaps an easy dozen shorter hikes that
usually lasts 4 or 5 days each.  One of those hikes took her to the top of Mt.
Whitney. When I got a signal it  showed that she was about 20 feet from the
very top of the peak. I told her  about that wondering how come she didn't
send the signal from the very top. She  said that she did. So it looks like
the signal is accurate to within about 20  feet. Besides the canoe trip I
went on the Green River, she's been on a few  canoe outings that lasted for a
few days without me. It seems that we use it in  all types of weather all
year long. Often she's out with a group of other women  who belongs to a local
hiking club in Sonora, CA called "The Camping Women".

>>BTW;  what was the background sound (radio-like  transmission) on the CBS
news report posted on YouTube on my site?  Please  take a close listen to
the part where they are interviewing the former  Ambassador.  This signal
appears at least in two intervals.  <<

Dirk...I'm a little hesitant getting onto your site. I tried it  twice
before in the past and each time that I did, I ended up with computer
difficulties. So sorry to say, I don't go there anymore. I think it has  something to
do with my computer's limited capabilities and it gets overwhelmed  at your
site.

>>I am asking about all types of PLB in locations  that are far away from
civilization such as deserts overseas where air traffic  and rescue may be a
challenge. <<

Well...while I got you on the  horn, my wife and a couple other women spent
9 days in the Death Valley area in  southern CA last April and sent signals
every day which I received. So it  apparently works from there. :O)
GeoZay.