[meteorite-list] Meteorite Hunting Personal Locator Beacon

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Thu Nov 11 09:20:13 EST 2010

>>Does anyone have any personal  use experience of a PLB (Personal Locator
Beacon)?  Some places meteorite  hunters go do not have cell phone coverage>>

My wife is an avid  back packer. I often don't go on these hikes, but I
still worry about where  she's at and her status when she hikes. So we got her
this device called SPOT.  It allows her to send one of three preset signals
from just about anywhere. the  signals are: 1) Hi its Deana and I'm doing
fine and having fun. 2) I'm having  trouble, but don't need to be rescued. 3)
I'm in a serious bind and need to be  rescued. So far I've only got the
first signal from her. When I get these  signals, it also shows her exact
location on a topog map. She usually sends her  signal in the evening. Sometimes
she sends it twice...once around lunch time and  then the evening. On some
occasions, I don't get the signal because she's down  in a hole and the signal
doesn't always get out. But most of the time it does.  So as a back up, we
agreed that she will try to send a signal during lunch time  if able. This
device is very reasuring. I can compare her location to the  various weather
radar images, so I usually know if she's in deep doo doo or not  when it
comes to weather. Besides owning the device, you have to pay a yearly  fee for
the service itself. Its fairly expensive, but if used often its worth it  in
my book. I used it last September while on a ten day canoe trip on the
Green  River in Utah. I was with a group, so the signal went to a family member
of one  of our group. He then passed the info to other family members etc.
George  Zay