[meteorite-list] Who prepared the first published meteorite catalogue?

Mark Grossman markig at westnet.com
Mon Nov 1 07:24:01 EDT 2010

Hi Svend,

Thanks for the comments.  Yes, I am familiar with Chladni's 1825 catalogue,
but I was not aware it was published in Kastner's Archiv.  I think the copy
that I have was published in Annales de Chimie in the same year.  I have to
go to my files and see if I can pull it out!

I do know from some of my other research that in 1825, most investigators,
even those that were chemists without any meteoritic experience, were
familiar with the work.

I'm not sure, but Annales de Chimie may be a bit easier to find in some
libraries, or on-line, than Kastner's Archiv (I may be wrong on this), so if
I can find the reference to the Annales de Chimie article, I will post it to
the list.

Thanks again for the comments and the Kastner reference.  I wasn't aware of
the Lucas catalogue either!

Mark