[meteorite-list] NEWS: Almahata Sitta meteorite

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun May 30 20:06:09 EDT 2010

There were a number of presentations about this fall at the Meteoroids 2010
conference last week. The bottom line is that it has not been definitively
established that the different stone types didn't come from different falls,
but that the overall evidence from cosmic ray analysis and weathering
(little to none) very strongly suggests that all the stones came from a
single, brecciated parent body (TC3). I didn't hear anybody suggest this was
certain, but it was largely accepted as true. There remains some interest in
searching outside the strewn field to establish a control on the matter.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com