[meteorite-list] Plainview article

Frank Cressy fcressy at prodigy.net
Sat May 29 13:21:03 EDT 2010

Hi Pete, Tom and all,

Oscar Monning and Harvey Nininger referred to the hammer stone as the "Norfleet" stone and they considered it part of the Plainview (1917) fall, believing this 20-pound stone was the "lead" stone of the fall.  It landed on trend with the strewnfield and has the same brecciated H5 lithology.  It is just one of the 1000+ stones from the Plainview (1917) fall, which is its official name.  There are three other named Plainview meteorites; Plainview (1950), Plainview (c) and Plainview (d).  Additionally, there are other meteorites that have been found in the same county (Hale County), including Hale Center 1 and 2.

Incidently I also have a nice slice of the hammer stone that I obtained a few years ago.

All the best,

Frank

PS: Sorry about the mis-spell last night.  It should have been Estacado.