[meteorite-list] Lunar crust micrographs NWA 2977

Starsinthedirt at aol.com Starsinthedirt at aol.com
Fri May 21 22:41:53 EDT 2010

Over three years ago Jim Strope,   catchafallingstar.com   (He has samples
for sale) provided to me a  Lunar thin section of NWA 2977.  This particular
slide has a nice band of  crust!

I have shared many images of this slide but I was never able to  get the
crust just right.  Well now I have some images which you crust  lovers may
like.  There is a crystal structure in the  melt!

I am working at a high level of magnification (1600X) in incident
(reflected) partially cross polarized light using oil immersion.  This  level of
magnification is approaching the workable limits of optical  microscopes.

Once again, I will make an update to my micrograph gallery  as soon as
possible but for now a set of the images has been put up on the Face  Book Tom
Phillips' Meteorite Photomicrography  Page
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119298541434619

Please take  a look.  This is a public page where every one can post
comments or even  their own images.

Thanks,   Tom  Phillips