[meteorite-list] Take precautions in desert hunts

Paul G. Spears pgspears at cox.net
Thu May 20 14:45:03 EDT 2010

Hi, all:
Arizona is a wonderful state to live in but it is primarily a desert
environment, especially where meteorites can be found.  Most of the strewn
fields will be exceeding 100 degrees daily between now and late October, so
hunters should take all precautions to protect themselves.  For those who
are unfamiliar with the heat, monsoon rains, rough terrain, and huge
expanses, I encourage you to plan well for them before you start.  It is
essential that you have the right equipment and survival supplies for this
area.

If you plan to hunt south of I-10 and I-8, take note that much of this land
is government or tribal property and subject to limitations on where hunting
can be done, and on what can be removed.  Check your maps well to locate
gunnery ranges, tribal lands, military facilities, and other restricted
areas.  I recommend that one never hunt alone in this part of the state for
personal safety reasons.

Every day, thousands of drug smugglers, human smugglers, and illegal
immigrants (a term that often includes criminals and other miscreants on the
run from Mexico and Latin America) flood through these areas.  Many of the
smugglers are heavily armed and do not want to encounter anyone who might
call in the Border Patrol.  While they mostly travel at night, we hunters
mostly poke around in the daytime and can walk up on a group that is well
hidden from air surveillance before we know they are there.  Contact Border
Patrol before you go in and tell them where you are going to be.  They know
where the hot spots are, and you want them to know you are not a smuggler if
they run across you in the brush. If you find a well-travelled "path" that
you think looks more like a road, you are right, it is an immigration road.
If you think you are the only one on it, you would be wrong.  Put some
distance between you and the road.

In addition to the two-legged predators, the no-legged predators are on the
prowl all over the state.  Leg protection against snake bites is a very good
idea, and it also helps to fend off the many varieties of thorns, spikes,
and cactus needles you will encounter.  Snakes will try to avoid you if you
will let them, so don't make them bite you by being careless!

Arizona meteorite hunters, collectors, dealers, and scientists are
wonderfully supportive of those who have a love and respect for this
(business, hobby, avocation, choose your word).  If you need assistance or
information, someone (usually, many) will respond quickly to your request on
Met-List.

Keep looking up!
Paul G. Spears
IMCA #3272