[meteorite-list] meteorite magnetism contamination

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Tue May 18 16:45:39 EDT 2010

The discussion about the concerns of meteorite  contamination while cutting
has jiggled a little bell. A few months ago I was  talking with Rainer Arlt
about meteorites and he mentioned that he was involved  with a project that
measured residual magnetism contained in fresh meteorites.  I'm not sure
what that information would tell you, but he was concerned about  meteorite
hunters sticking a magnet to a meteorite for testing and mess this
information up. The residual magnetism from a magnet would leave a residual  presence
within the meteorite as well.
GeoZay