[meteorite-list] WI-Bill and Sonny

Karl Aston stlouismeteorites at gmail.com
Wed May 5 09:01:23 EDT 2010

All:  I usually just lurk but need to put in my 2 cents about recent
posts by Bill and Sonny.  Prior to WI, I had not known Sonny
personally, but his good reputation preceeded him.  While hunting with
him over the last 2 weeks, I have seen nothing but gentlemanly
behavior and respect from him towards landowners as well as fellow
meteorite hunters.  I do not know Bill and cannot comment except about
his rude post.  Bill, if you have anything to say/post other than an
apology to Sonny and the list, please take it off-list to Sonny.  The
list is no place for name-calling.

As far as the lack of material, this is not even close to hunting in
West.  I think that the average number of finds per hunter
(professional) now is just about 1 with something like 100 hours of
searching needed to find that 1 stone.  In the first week it was about
1/2 find or less per hunter.  There is no pumping of a lack of stones.
 This isn't the Buzzard it was initially thought to be.  Bill, how
many stones have you found and how many hours have you seached?  I
hope you have done better than me with more than 100 hours for my 1
stone.  With most hunters keeping their one find or a slice of it, not
much material will make it to market unless someone on the ground
makes a breakthrough.  Karl Aston