[meteorite-list] AD:Almahata Sitta 2008 TC3 for sale on eBay

Richard Kowalski kowalski at lpl.arizona.edu
Sun Mar 28 19:17:33 EDT 2010

--- On Sun, 3/28/10, Shawn Alan <photophlow at yahoo.com> wrote:

 > discovered by the automated Catalina Sky Survey 1.5 m
 > telescope at Mount Lemmon, Tucson, Arizona,

Hi Shawn and all,

I'd just like to point out that Catalina is NOT an automated survey.

There is a human validating each and every suspect.

Unfortunately the Meteoritical Society continues to leave this uncorrected in
listing for Almahata Sitta. Petr Jenniskens was informed of this mistake
immediately when he started saying this after the recovery of the meteorites
several months after TC3 was discovered. For some reason this misrepresentation
continues to be used in papers in which he is listed as a co-author.

Sorry if this seems to be picking nits, but our observers work very hard and we
feel that a primary reason we are so productive is because we are NOT automated.

Thanks

--
Richard Kowalski
Catalina Sky Survey