[meteorite-list] It's now an even sadder day...what happened to ethics??

Dennis Beatty apollocollector at q.com
Tue Mar 9 12:45:53 EST 2010

I have sporadically read the comments regarding the implementation of
new (or newly enforced) BLM rules...and am saddened and disappointed
at the overall tone of the responses.  What is it about us and our
love of meteorites that gives us the right for personal gain??  As I
understand it, any item found on public land belongs to the American
people not some lucky individual that happens to stumble across
something of value.  I have read several posts where fellow collectors
have stated that should they find a meteorite on public land, they
will merely "refind" it on private land.  Sheesh!!  I will be going
back through this thread much more carefully and if those types
comments are tied to any dealers, I will definitely not patronize
them.  And were is the IMCA on this??  Isn't ethical dealing one of
their mainstays??

Perhaps I am naive, but I had envisioned our group as seekers of
knowledge rather than modern day anti-government, do as I damn well
please rustlers.

Well, there goes two cents...

Dennis Beatty