[meteorite-list] Canadian meteorite export laws!

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 3 22:57:43 EST 2010

	I have a number of meteorites in my small collection from Canadian
meteorite falls and finds.  I obtained most of them from dealers in
the U.S.A.  Out of curiosity I asked Dr. Chris Herd from the
University of Alberta if one required an export permit to send them
out of the country again.  Chris's reply surprised me.

Quote:  "With regards to the Canadian meteorites, yes you will need
an export permit.  Seems kinda silly if you originally purchased them
from American dealers, but that's the law".

	Strange eh, since they were obtained from American dealers in the
first place.  None had export permits or any other documentation.
Makes one wonder if they were illegally exported out of Canada in the
first place.  I have seen other Canadian origin meteorites on eBay,
with some having export permits and others not.  Any comments on this?

	I'm part of the Sandia All-sky fireball network, operating an all-
sky camera station from my backyard observatory in Courtenay on
Vancouver Island.  My main interest is meteor spectroscopy.  I'm also
an associate member of MIAC.  You can view my web page at:   http://
www.members.shaw.ca/epmajden/

Ed Majden - Asteroid Majden 142368
Courtenay B.C.