[meteorite-list] Responsibility Over Ratings

Adam Hupe raremeteorites at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 24 17:56:57 EDT 2010

Hi Sonny and List,

Your CM1 is a perfect example of a meteorite where the scientific value is much greater than the commercial value.  If all federal and state land is closed to hunters, a scientific treasure trove like this will most likely never be found in the future. You cannot count on private property to produce a find like this again. There just isn't enough of it in the hot desert areas to make searching viable.

I agree with Eric Wichman's idea that as a community we should work together to preserve this avocation before it is too late.  As Eric stated, a lot of people are concerned and are talking about this behind the scenes.

I was not singling out any one individual or show in my previous posts and was simply addressing an issue that has been troubling me for some time. I was giving my views on what I perceive as disturbing trends.

I listened to Richard O. Norton at a private party about a decade ago
expressing similar views. I wish he were here to give some advice and direction.  He made a great spokesperson and was well versed on the subject.

I really would not like to see meteorite hunting go the way of treasure and fossil hunting.

Best Regards,

Adam