[meteorite-list] Impact simulations

Steve Dunklee steve.dunklee at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 12:44:29 EDT 2010

while at work I have observed impacts of rain drops on hydrated lime powder. When the raindrop lands on powdered lime several inches deep it just makes a crater. When it impacts on a thin layer of powder with a harder surface underneath like concrete. It makes a crater with a central uplift. I propose a crater with central uplift only occures where there is a softer surface material with a harder layer underneath. With the harder material being less than the diameter than the impactor under the surface.                   cheers                                Steve