[meteorite-list] Rock testing...best place

JoshuaTreeMuseum joshuatreemuseum at embarqmail.com
Tue Jun 15 11:39:51 EDT 2010

Barry,
I hate to rain on your parade, but this is not a lunar and it's not a
meteorite.  You don't have to pay to have it identified, just take it to the
closest university geology professor, and he'll tell you what it is.  At
least once  a month, someone comes in the museum with their new lunar find.
After I look at it and see it's not a meteorite, (it never is), I then tell
them that the chances of them being the first person to ever find a lunar
meteorite in all of North America, South America, Europe, and Asia is very
close to zero.  Whatever the smallest increment above zero is, that's your
chance of being the first.

If I'm wrong, you'll be the toast of the international meteorite community,
as well as being featured on the cover of Nature, National Geographic, Time
and Newsweek.  You will also get to meet the President as you present your
find to the Smithsonian.

Good luck, I could be wrong, but don't get your hopes up.

Phil Whitmer