[meteorite-list] A question for the scientists...Dr. Ed Olsen

Phil Whitmer prairiecactus at rtcol.com
Sun Jun 13 21:12:38 EDT 2010

Alan:  You should have gone to astronaut school!!!!!!!!!!!!:-)

I met Dr. Ed Olson a few times when he was Curator at the Field Museum. What
a great guy!  My uncle (Terry Boswell) and I were searching for the Plymouth
meteorite when we paid him a visit to discuss a possible crater we may have
found. He took us into the storage area and showed us what I think was the
Plymouth main mass. A big iron meteorite with the end sawn off. He
encouraged our hunt by pointing out that the other end look like it had
detached from a larger mass. After showing us meteorites of every type and
description,  he then pulled out a giant black slice of carbonaceous
chondrite and was going on about the amino acids, and how a such a common
type of asteroid could be so rarely found as earth as meteorites.  He said:
"Look how friable this is", and to our shock and horror, snapped the slice
in half. He saw the look on our faces, then said: "Don't worry, we have
plenty more."  To our relief, he opened a big drawer chock full of similar
slices.  A very accessible fellow, who would spend hours with people off the
street that showed an interest in meteorites. I don't know of any  major
museum today that would let Joe Blow from Kokomo handle their meteorites
like that.

Phil Whitmer
(50 miles from Kokomo)