[meteorite-list] A Twisted Meteor Trail Over Tenerife'

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Jun 4 11:37:35 EDT 2010

Personally, I am highly skeptical of the handful of visual reports of
spiraling or zig-zagging meteors. There is no acceptable physical
explanation for such a thing. It is far more likely to be an illusion caused
by saccadic eye movement or by an unusual light curve.

This image was a 59 second continuous exposure, and is a single frame.
There's no way to tell how long the meteor event lasted. It is 7° long, and
if you assume one second the numbers all work out to be pretty reasonable.
But it could have been quite a bit shorter, or a little bit longer.

The distance can be reasonably estimated as 300-400 km, given the high
zenith angle.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory