[meteorite-list] Twisted meteor trail

Ed Majden epmajden at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 3 12:37:20 EDT 2010

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 21:28:53 -0400
From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] A Twisted Meteor Trail Over Tenerife
To: "Sterling K. Webb" <sterling_k_webb at sbcglobal.net>
Cc: meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com, "Matson,	Robert D."
	<ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com>

So if the bump/vibration theory is true for this recent picture, is it
also true for this picture:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap050202.html

	Rob is correct, this photo shows extreme changes in direction
probably caused by camera vibration.  Peter Millman and his team, at
the now closed Meannook/Newbrook Meteor Observatories along with Fred
Whipple with his group at Harvard used large aperture Baker Super
Schmidt Meteor Cameras and photographed thousands of meteors.  As far
as I'm aware none showed this type of extreme twisted meteor track.
I'm going to forward this e-mail to now retired, Dr. Ian Halliday
NRCC to see if he has any comments on this photograph and other
similar ones.  I hope he has the time to comment on this.

Ed Majden - Amateur Meteor Spectroscopy
Courtenay, B.C. Canada