[meteorite-list] Micrographs of NWA 5363 Brachinite

Starsinthedirt at aol.com Starsinthedirt at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 17:06:18 EDT 2010

Hi List,  I recently added some high  magnification incident light
micrographs of NWA 5363 to my micrograph gallery  hosted by Meteorite
Times/Meteorite Exchange.

The sample was supplied to  me by Carl Esparza.   We are having some thin
sections made but for  now I polished a couple thick samples to a level of
1/4 micron and examined them  in incident cross polarized light on an aus Jena
Neophot.

For those not  familiar with incident light images, this is reflected
light.  No thin  section is required.  The technique does not produce the vivid
colors of  transmitted light Xpol.  What is cool is, aside from some
"opalescence" in  highly translucent spots, the color is correct and just the way it
actually  looks up close.  All opaque features are visible and at times,
with  stunning structures that would not be visible in standard Xpol  images.

NWA 5363 is classified as a Brachinite by Dr. Jambon.  This  is the one
that you have likely heard about.  Dr. Jambon emailed this list  and said it is
paired to NWA 5400.  I am sure some people would like to see  a side by
side comparison, that is not what I have done.  I have never  personally seen a
sample of NWA 5400 and even if I had one of each, my opinion  would not be
relevant!

This is in no way intended as a way for me  to join in to the debate that
occurred on this list a couple weeks ago.   This is only an invitation for
you to look at some very cool NWA 5363  micrographs.  I am sure you will not
be disappointed and will find it worth  your time.

The link is  at
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/articles/nwa-5363/

If that link fails, go to my gallery and select NWA 5363 from the menu  to
the  left.
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/meteorites-alpha_frame.htm

Thanks for looking,   Tom Phillips