[meteorite-list] Circumstances of fireball associated with Salzwedel fall November 1985

bernd.pauli at paulinet.de bernd.pauli at paulinet.de
Wed Jul 14 07:46:44 EDT 2010

David inquired:

Does anyone have any references, or recollection, of the circumstances
of the fireball which proceeded the meteorite fall at Salzwedel on the
14th November, 1985. Direction of travel, magnitude, locations of
observers - that sort of thing?...I'm curious to know if it could have
been seen from south-east England - unlikely I know, but maybe possible?

Hello David and List,

I can come up with two important references:

RENDTEL J. and  KNÖFEL A. (1986) Meteroitenfall
in Hohenlangenbeck (Sterne 62, 181-183).

RENDTEL J., KNÖFEL A. and SCHARFF P. (1986) Meteoritenfall
in der DDR (Astronomie und Raumfahrt 24, 98-99).

As André is a member of both the German forum and the U.S. MetList,
he will surely read your inquiry and be able and willing to provide
useful information on the Salzwedel LL6 chondrite fall!

Best wishes from
scalding hot
Germany,

Bernd