[meteorite-list] [Fwd: Re: USB 2.0 mp Digital Camera]

Starsinthedirt at aol.com Starsinthedirt at aol.com
Tue Jul 6 21:17:34 EDT 2010

Hi Mike and List,  Thanks for the generous  compliment Mike!

I am often asked about the best microscope to buy.   I wrote a MT article
called "The Right Microscope For You"
http://www.meteorite-times.com/Back_Links/2008/may/Micro_Visions.htm

The  key is to decide what you want to accomplish before any microscope
selection.  These USB microscopes with Xpol features are not bad.  Any
incident (reflected) light microscope will not give the intense color of
transmitted (pass through) cross polarized light.  These USB Xpol set ups  are cheap
and they do a good job of what they are designed to do.

Some of  my favorite images are reflected light chondrule shots.  Largely
true  color.  The NWA 6075 Lodranite images on my gallery show just how
interesting reflected light can be.  Please take a  look.
http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/articles/nwa-6075/

These  images are taken in the same principle as the USB microscopes.

If you  want a low cost color producing thin section machine you can still
use the  simple USB microscope but the USB microscope lighting must be
turned off and you  will need to set up a polarizing fixture.  I like a fiber
optic light panel  with two large camera linear polarizing filters.  I bought
several huge  polarizers on eBay for less than $10 each.  You will need two.
Simply  place the thin section between the filters and use a bright light
source of your  choice.  The USB microscope can then be used to magnify the
cross polarized  light colors.

Over the past few years I have picked up a few old  polarimeters.  The kind
used for thin film study or strain gauge set ups  like those from
Strainoptics.  These make for nice full thin section  viewing and are often equipped
with retardation plates which will intensify the  colors.

For high magnification however, there is no substitute for  quality optics
and that is seldom cheap.

Tom Phillips

In a  message dated 7/6/2010 6:28:16 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,