[meteorite-list] THE OLDEST METEORITE ?

Don Merchant dmerchan at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jan 29 09:08:08 EST 2010

Hi Shawn and List. Interesting you brought this up. I remember years ago
purchasing a rare meteorite specifically because of its age. Could not
remember for which one (old age thing!) anyways I remember what meteorite
that was.....Tieschitz. Fell July 15, 1878 at 1345 hrs. I will try and find
the article/study/results which I know I saved on this meteorite and forward
it to the list...Since I have it in my collection I wrote a few things about
the meteorite on my index card file. Contains pre-solar Al rich oxide
grains. Most of these grains originate in red giants. Age was estimated at
4.59 A±  0.09Ga which exceeds the age of Allende and the others mentioned.
At least this is what I had jotted down.
Sincerely
Don Merchant
IMCA #0960