[meteorite-list] Lorton, VA, fall on MLK

Rob Matson mojave_meteorites at cox.net
Thu Jan 21 02:37:00 EST 2010

[Resending from home computer; apologies if you ~eventually~
receive this post twice.]

Hi All,

This Lorton, Virginia, fall is just miles from where I grew up
in Springfield, VA!  I checked Doppler radar, and sure enough
it shows up!  It's visible in the Sterling, VA, radar (KLWX)
during the cycle that begins at 22:37:22.  It's visible in
the 3.51-degree and 4.47-degree cut angles, which occur a little
less than 90 seconds apart, late in the ~10-minute cycle from
22:37:22 - 22:47:06. In those 90 seconds, the dust cloud has
moved noticeably to the east, and both positions are due east
of Lorton by an amount that is an excellent match for a fall
occurring at 22:38 GMT (5:38pm EST).

This is the seventh successfully recovered fall for which I've
found matching NEXRAD Doppler radar images.  --Rob