[meteorite-list] Refraction and cutting solvents

starsandscopes at aol.com starsandscopes at aol.com
Sat Jan 16 16:31:01 EST 2010

Hi Paul,  I am not aware of any change to  optical properties of material
due to lubricants but with the more advanced  testing watch out.

I had some material that I polished with a diamond  slurry to 1/4 micron.
I sent some to a respected researcher that I  occasionally consult  (he
helps me out a lot!).  The sample was  analyzed on a Raman Spectrometer and
found to contain carbon.  As this  material was (kind of) unique and produced an
odor when cutting or polishing, I  naturally figured it was carbonaceous.
I circulated that information and  wound up quite embarrassed when it turned
out to be an OC.  It appears the  diamond slurry was an oil base that
changed the spectrometer signature.

I  think the proper solvent wash would of prevent this but I didn't think
of it so  I never washed the sample or told my friend what I had used in the
sample  preparation.

Tom Phillips

In a message dated 1/16/2010 2:15:02  P.M. Mountain Standard Time,