[meteorite-list] Rocks from Space Picture of the Day - February 24, 2010

Darryl Pitt darryl at dof3.com
Wed Feb 24 20:37:34 EST 2010

Hi Herbert,

Hoping all is well and thanks for the note.

Most of the following has previously been stated:

---Yes, I forwarded specimens for the collection of cosmic exposure
data (more than a month ago);
---My understanding is that as a result of Lovina's earthly
experiences including its possible origination from a far larger mass,
it's conceivable a constrained cosmic exposure history may exist.  Any
such data would be superseded by Lovina matching the compositional
fingerprint for an iron meteorite---which is conclusive in the opinion
of numerous experts;
---A couple of friends privately suggested that Shirokovsky's
pseudometeorite status was confirmed by cosmogenic radionuclide data.
This is not entirely accurate. Apart from a superficial look, almost
everything about Shirokovsky was problematic...and its cosmic history
helped seal the deal.  Shirokovksky's composition was highly
problematic and Lovina passed this smell test;
---Tim McCoy acceded to both Wasson's data and conclusions and
expressed to Wasson, "If you are comfortable moving this forward as a
meteorite, I have no data to firmly refute the suggestion."

Hoping I've been helpful.  Good night everyone!

Darryl