[meteorite-list] PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF CHONDRITES -STUDYING METEORITE FALLS USING. DOPPLER WEATHER RADAR

Matson, Robert D. ROBERT.D.MATSON at saic.com
Wed Feb 24 20:21:48 EST 2010

Hi Robert,

> It seems certain that the use of radar in future falls (and perhaps
> old ones as well?? ) will continue to prove useful.

Yes, indeed -- a very powerful new tool in our meteorite-chasing toolbox.
In just one year, Doppler radar has led to (or augmented) the successful
recovery of two falls:  Ash Creek and Grimsby.  While not all recovered
U.S. falls in the last 15 years have produced clear Doppler returns,
quite a few have, including:

Lorton, VA - 1/18/2010
Grimsby, Ontario, Canada - 9/25/2009
Ash Creek, TX - 2/15/2009
Park Forest, IL - 3/27/2003
Elbert, CO - 1/11/1998

(There are at least 2 or 3 others, but my notes are at home for them.)

--Rob