[meteorite-list] GPAA Gold Show in Fresno Today

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sat Feb 20 19:26:13 EST 2010

Hi all...I just got back from the GPAA gold  and treasure show in Fresno
today. It was quite crowded. Maybe a thousand or two  people.  Anyways, I went
there mainly for the gold panning contest. I  placed third, but had a
problem with picking out the small nuggets with my  fingers that slowed me down.
Besides, I already got 3 copper pan trophies and my  wife doesn't want
anymore on the wall. :O) there also wasn't much of anything in  the ways of
equipment that I desired to purchase. Oh...I bought a 30.5 gram  nugget for only
$4. I should add that it wasn't made up of gold, but copper.  Still it was
natural and river worn. It looks pretty neat. It was from Michigan.  During
my wonderings at the show, I noted one vendor with several fragments of
Meteorites kinda hidden off to the side. I recognzed them before I was able to
find a hand scribbled note that simply said, "Meteorites". No prices, but I
doubt they would have sold for much. they all looked like ordinary
chondrites  probably unclassifed NWA's. I'm now wondering why there's no vendor that
has a  sizeable amount of modest priced meteorites for sale there? I bet it
would be  worth the effort. Someone could do what several vendors usually
do with a small  gold nugget or two and that is to raffle them off. Tickets
for about a buck a  piece and selling maybe a couple hundred by days end.
Selling raffle tickets are  real popular at these shows. At the end of the day,
the show raffles a lot of  items, including what the individual vendors
provided from their ticket sales. A  couple years ago, I won a 3 gram gold
nugget this way. It was a hoot! :O) Now my  wife posses it. These shows are only
weekends long and there's about 10 of them  thru out the U.S. each year.
I'm not a meteorite dealer, but if I was one, I  sure would contact the GPAA
folks to find out the particulars. Maybe someone  could set up a display at a
show that's near your location. I noticed that  there's usually two in
Arizona, One In Primm, Nevada, San Bernardino, Fresno,  two in Oregon, Montana,
N. Carolina, Washington State, Colorado, Penn. these  were last years
locations, but often they are in the same place. Besides the  gold related
paraphanalia, I see some gemstones and what have you. I'd think  meteorites would
fit right in.
George Zay