[meteorite-list] Non magnetic meteorites

James Balister balisterjames at att.net
Fri Feb 19 22:29:56 EST 2010

What I am trying to say is that you can not be sure if a rock is or is not a meteorite simply because a magnet will not stick to it!  Not to forget that a rare earth magnet has a stronger pull then a simple magnet.  I am not talking about having it checked out as to content.  I am talking about finding one with a magnet.  I use a metal detecter, and sight when hunting.  Then cut them open to look for nickel.  But the magnet test now seems up in the air as far as a quick ID.   I wonder how many rocks I just passed over simply because the magnet did not stick!