[meteorite-list] Degrees in Meteoritics

MeteorHntr at aol.com MeteorHntr at aol.com
Wed Feb 17 12:38:22 EST 2010

Hello List,

I have just had a high school  aged viewer of our show "Meteorite Men"
contact me asking for all the  Universities that offer some type of Meteoritics
degrees, as it seems after  watching some of our episodes, this is now the
direction this young man wants to  pursue as a vocation.

I was curious if there is a comprehensive list of  the institutions that
offer either undergraduate or post graduate courses  in what might be grouped
as "Meteoritics"?  As Geoff and I begin to do more  work speaking to Junior
High and High School aged kids, it would seem that this  might be a common
question for us to be asked, and I would want to be prepared  to offer the
best answer possible.

On a side note, is there much demand  for new meteorite scientists out
there?  If all the slots are filled, or  someone isn't likely to be able to get
a job once they would get a degree, I  might want to caution kids not to get
too serious about this field for a career  without seriously evaluating the
options first.  But since I am not one to  try to quash anyone's dreams, I
would like to be as helpful as  possible.

And as a reminder, tonight is our Dry Lake Bed hunt episode of  Meteorite
Men on Science Channel with our amazing guest stars Sonny Clary and  his dog
Brix.  I hope the fun we had on this expedition comes through in  the final
cut.  The only time I ever experienced anything close to what  happens
tonight was 13 years or so ago when I took several trips to Imilac and I  found a
lot of small pieces in a small area.  It was a blast to shoot this  episode
and I look forward to being able to share it with the world.    I will be
putting some of the meteorites I found on the show up on Ebay with buy  it
now, so if you want one of the finds, check that out a little later today.

Steve Arnold
of "Meteorite Men"