[meteorite-list] Fwd: Lorton meteorite should be 'the people's rock'

George Blahun Jr ks1u at att.net
Thu Feb 4 17:23:28 EST 2010

Carl:
    Your examples show why there are so many 5-4 decisions on the supreme court.  There are at least two legal viewpoints and a practical, though not necessarily legal one, take the money and run.  I know we could probably keep going back and forth with this issue, invoking analogies all day.  The issue of ownership is an interesting legal and philosophical issue.  I always remember the Native American position, "The earth does not belong to us, we belong to the earth".  I'll bet, if asked, they'd have an answer for meteorites and sunglasses.

George