[meteorite-list] Matters Arising. When in Rome!

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Wed Feb 3 22:15:00 EST 2010

Hi List,  This is the first time I have  chimed in on one of these rants
but here goes:

The biggest mistake was  not the photo!  Heck, tourists love fake stage
coach hold ups staged all  over Arizona.  They even have one in Knot's Berry
Farm in California.   The photo was just for fun.

The mistake that flipped switches was the  stereo type insult to gun
owners/users.  That was a "Bad Post" and should  be apologized for!   Martin
joined in, prior to the slam, in a light  hearted observation of the photo
situation and I felt the post that started all  this was a slam to him as well.

I have cut and polished meteorites with  Martin.  During those visits we
have occasionally practiced with  guns.  I must say that as meticulous as he
is with meteorite matters he is  with guns.

With his Glock he is an amazing shot!   ( I even  suspected professional
competition!) Once again, every thing is meticulous with  him.  Absolute
safety!!!

I am not typical in any way either.  I  like assault rifles but then again,
I have hundreds and hundreds of acres to  shoot them on.  I do not hunt.
This winter I spent more on 55 gal  drums of wheat than on meteorites.  We
are reestablishing wild turkey in  the area and for a time they need a little
help.

Last week hunters had a  cougar up a tree with hounds on my land.  I took
pictures and made them let  it go.  (Email me for photos, I'm there with
Daisy the "old girl"  hound.)

My point is some what an agreement with every one.  We have  cultural
differences so don't condemn and stereo type a culture you are a  visitor in!!!

I like Kentucky Bourbon, but I don't slam German  Octoberfest participants
for drinking too much beer!

The photo was just  giving the many tourists what they want.  The
condescending, superior  sounding email post was poison, and worse, was designed to
be!

Tom

In a message dated 2/3/2010 7:40:18 P.M. Mountain Standard  Time,