[meteorite-list] Meteorite Yields Carbon Crystals Harder Than Diamond

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Wed Feb 3 21:24:56 EST 2010

Hi list,  This is off topic (sort of)  to  this very interesting post but
it
does mention graphite and  diamonds.

I have shared this observation before and every  time I have mentioned it
have been taken wrong!  Has any else  noticed how the graphite inclusions
in the fossil EL3, NWA 2828, 2965,  Al Haggounia 001 etc. fool an
electronic
diamond tester?

Now  this is the part I have been taken wrong on, I'm not  saying I have
found testable size diamonds but rather the graphite will set off  an
electronic diamond tester!  Those testers operate on thermal
conductivity.

I can take my optical scopes to 2000X but that is  no  help in this stuff.

I have tried similar inclusions in other  meteorites  and nothing.  Is the
inclusion made of nano diamonds  or just a material  that is as thermally
conductive as  diamonds?   Which ever, it is  interesting!

Tom  Phillips

In a message dated 2/3/2010 6:23:57 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,  baalke