[meteorite-list] Mineral responsible for green color in Moldavite?

MEM mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 13:51:08 EST 2010

Sorry no such content.   Moldavites and Georgiasites are chemically very akin to
soda glass, essentially identical to the sands they came from with a possible
addition of iron from the impactor.  Nickel content is below detection
thresholds, apparently.  Minor content of Na, K, Ca, Mg, Mn, Al and Ti--all
typical of river sands.  With 3-4% Fe  one should think it was the iron but iron
should make the glass more yellow if it were a silicate.   The valence of the
iron +2 or +3 makes a difference in color.  There does not appear to be enough
Mg to counter balance the iron...So other than knowing it isn't beryilium I
don't know specifically, myself. Occums razor it must be the iron in combination
with enough soda content.

Chris I see why you offered a beryl guess but coloration , a general rule of
thumb in mineralogy is that with rare exception "color" is the least reliable
means to make an identification.  Remember the yellow and red "moldavites that
were hitting ebay a few years ago?

Elton