[meteorite-list] Geminid Meteor Shower Defies Explanation (Asteroid 3200 Phaethon)

MEM mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 14:19:15 EST 2010

> "The Geminids are my favorite," he explains, "because they  defy
> explanation."
>
> Most meteor showers come from comets, which spew  ample meteoroids for a
> night of 'shooting stars.' The Geminids are different.  The parent is not
> a comet but a weird rocky object named 3200 Phaethon that  sheds very
> little dusty debris - not nearly enough to explain the Geminids.

To refine conventional wisdom,  the Geminids shower (and its outbound corollary)
of the many meteor showers we see each year, has a parent body that could
produce a meteorite.  We preach the non-association of meteorite falls during
normal cometary showers, but we need to keep in mind this possible exception
should one of our clan ever ever be interviewed by Art Bell.

 A meteorite fall during the Geminids is "statistically" more likely to be
related to the shower and parent body, even though statistically obscure. than a
meteorite recovered during a cometary parent body meteor shower.  That is to
say, if any meteor shower parent body could produce debris falling to us as a
meteorite this is the shower whose parent body: 3200 Phaethon

Elton