[meteorite-list] List of known Rusters?

al mitt almitt at kconline.com
Mon Dec 6 13:00:39 EST 2010

Hi Ed and all,

This has been discussed before and I believe the consensus was that WD40 can
have moisture in it that will promote rust. It depends on the batch but
there is varying degrees of water contained in this lubricant. It might not
be so good for Nantans but more stable irons like Gibeon would probably be
fine.

A good grade gun oil like Birchwood brand, Barricade seems to do better in
my experience but smells a bit. Bottom line here, Nantans are often unstable
and may have been weathered to the point you'll never be very successful at
drying them out. These are notorious rusters.

I like very much your idea of a list of meteorites that are problems
specimens. Perhaps we could develop a rating system (1 to 10), (stable,
mostly stable, partly stable, unstable, extremely unstable) or something
similar and a listing of specimens. Even the metal in ordinary chondrites
can rust. An example is Ghubara, Omen. About half of the pallasites out
there are problem specimens, and a number of irons are.

Best!

--AL Mitterling