[meteorite-list] Ball Lightning May Explain Some Fireball Sighting

Adam Hupe raremeteorites at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 4 11:33:10 EST 2010

I remember driving a Jeep into the desert at night and seeing several white
flashes going off all around us on the ground. I could hear a snapping noise at
nearly the same time as the flashes. One of these strange flashes went off about
30 feet from us and caused me to swerve it was so bright. We went over to where
we saw it and there was nothing there. It was freaky.

We finally figured it later after reading that if the conditions are perfect,
moving sand can cause static electricity to build up.  I also read  that these
discharges pack a serious punch.

If snakes and bugs are not enough to worry about, now you have to worry about
being electrocuted by moving sand.

Best Regards,

Adam