[meteorite-list] Tally of Falls in the Last 10 years

Shawn Alan photophlow at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 1 01:28:12 EST 2010

Hello Listers,

Out of those 56 falls since 2000, I would have to say Almahata Sitta and Tagish Lake has to be by far my fav falls.

Shawn Alan
IMCA 1633
eBaystore
http://shop.ebay.com/photophlow/m.html

[meteorite-list] Tally of Falls in the Last 10 yearsGalactic Stone & Ironworks meteoritemike at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 19:19:24 EST 2010

Hi List,

With Lorton now being official (thanks to Greg S. for pointing this
out), here is a break down of types for all official meteorite falls
in the 21st century. Only falls that are officially-approved and
appear in the Met Bulletin are counted.

Type : Total falls since 2000AD (56 total falls)

CM2
CO3.6
CV3
C2-ung
EL6
L5 : four
L5/6
L5-6
L6 : nine
LL5
LL6 : five
H/L4
H3.8
H3-5 : two
H4 : two
H4-5 : two
H4/5 : two
H5 : twelve
H5/6
H6
Ureilite
Eucrite : five
Iron IIE-an

Some observations about this tally :

H5 is the most common with 12 total falls in the last 10 years.
L6 is the second-most common with 9 total falls in the same period.
LL6 and Eucrite tied for third-most common with 5 each.
There are a total of 24 H-chondrites.
There are a total of 21 L-chondrites.
There are a total of 4 carbonaceous chondrites. Each is different type.
Of the 6 achondrites to fall, 5 of them were eucrites. (the other was
a ureilite)
Only one iron has fallen in the last 10 years. (IIE-anomalous)

Best regards,

MikeG

Website - http://www.galactic-stone.com
Meteorite Top List - http://meteorite.gotop100.com