[meteorite-list] Classification of Chondrites Without a Number

Thunder Stone stanleygregr at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 13:41:42 EDT 2010

Hi List:

Here is something I've wondered for a while and I hope someone can answer it for me.

Why are some Chondrites only classified as a 'L' or 'H' or in some cases 'EH' and 'E'

Is it just the way classifications were done in the past and is it possible to probe the samples and give them the appropiate number? Or do they fall out of the 3-6 range? I do see some in the 2000's classified in this manner.  Perhaps the institution the classifications were done?

Much Thanks,

Greg S.